Thursday, July 06, 2006

General Update. . .

Well, I have been negligent at posting for long enough. Not much going on around here lately. We had a good July 4th weekend (yeah for the 4th being on Tuesday, since Mike got 2 vacation days out of it!). We spent alot of time "catching up" on sleep - funny, before I was pregnant, I could barely take naps; I sleep all the time now! We hung out with friends and just chilled in general.

Monday, I saw my midwife for my 38 weeks minus one day appt. Everything went really well. The appts. are a bit long since I have a NST (NonStress Test) at every visit, but it is definitely worth it to know that the baby is doing well. Contrary to what I had been told at previous visits, my midwife no longer believes me to be carrying the next Andre the Giant (several weeks back, I was warned that "this baby is a little on the large side. . ."). For awhile, I thought we may need to purchase a size 6 mos. take home outfit - but I suppose newborn will do after all!

Funny Story - my midwife told me that I friend of hers did a short-term missions trip to Africa. She was surprised to discover that babies don't wear diapers of any kind where she went. Apparently family members just learn to recognize the signs of impending danger and hold the baby away from themselves at the appropriate time. I'm sure there would be many "misses" early on, but you'd probably catch on to the baby's signals pretty quickly! Can't you just imagine how unusual it would be to see that in the states?!?

My poor Daisy-baby has had a rough time of it this whole weekend. Loud noises frighten her beyond measure, so obviously, the 4th is not a popular holiday with her. I was up with her until 5am Monday morning just trying to get her to calm down and settled enough to go outside for her business (I wouldn't normally have stayed up just because she was scared, but she hadn't been outside for at least 12 hours and eventually something has to give!). Between fireworks and thunderstorms, she is a nervous wreck still. To top it all off, I took her to the vet Wednesday for a booster shot. She actually snubbed the vet when he offered her a treat after giving her a shot - she would have none of it. So, once we were in the car, I offered her a treat (I wanted to know if it was the vet she didn't like, or if she was just upset). Sure enough, she took the treat with no problem! I've never seen her snub a person (besides me when she is being moody), and it is really funny since she is the most people-loving dog I have ever seen.

Approximately 12 days until Baby Ertl (if "Due Dates" can be trusted, and they can't), and we cannot decide on cloth versus disposable diapers. Thought that we had decided to use disposables, but now I'm not sure. Maybe we'll use the "African Method" above until we can decide! LOL!

2 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmph.. for someone addicted to blogging you sure dont update often :P I just had to comment on the Africa part of your post, this DOES go on in the states, usually under the term "Elimination Communication" You can read about it at this forum: http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=227

as for cloth vs sposies.. well you know where to find me if you need help ;)

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger ertlnet said...

I vote disposables! They're more expensive, but SO much easier! Do you really want to carry around a stinky diaper until you get home and can clean it out?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home